Monday, September 20, 2010

FHE Journal Entry

Tonight for Family Home Evening, Andrea taught a lesson on journal-writing.  She suggested we make a journal entry about the scripture in Mosiah, chapter two, verse 17.

King Benjamin is delivering his address to the saints who have gathered to the temple to hear his words.  He says:

And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God.

I've always felt like service is so key to the gospel of Jesus Christ.  It's what he did during his short ministry.  When I serve others, I feel good, and I'm helping someone who needs the help.  Both are edified.

I'm thankful for opportunities to serve.  The other week in church, during a lesson, our instructor was illustrating how key and how central home teaching is to the elders quorum.  Home teaching is really about service, but as we listed the other church-ey duties of the elders quorum, we listed other functions of the quorum, and of the priesthood in general: setting up chairs, helping people move.

In a related vein, I'm reminded of something I was taught by a member of our stake presidency in Provo.  He said that home teaching most closely resembles that which the Savior did during his earthly ministry.  I have a testimony that this is true, and that when we serve our fellow man, we serve our God.  We do the work he sent us to do; we do the things Jesus would do if he were here.

1 comment:

RuSty and LaLa said...

Thanks for Sharing WIllie. Its always nice to hear the testimonies of people you love.